Town and surroundings of Gooiland in 1570. A particularly turbulent and tumultuous time. The Dutch Revolt started only two years earlier. The Reformation is gaining more ground. The Renaissance revives art and people in Central Europe. Amsterdam is only a small city. At the Muiderslot the Bailiff of Gooiland, Paulus van Loo, is in charge. He is discharged from this position seven years later due to his loyalty to the church.
He is “exiled” and seeks refuge in the hamlet of Hoog-, Groot- of Oud-Bussem which is then under the jurisdiction of Huizen. The hamlet consists – like many other hamlets of Saxon origin – solely of farmsteads and a village square as its centre. There, “the distinguished Van Loo and his honourable housewife noble woman Anna van Rosseau, their children and other residents” move in their pagthuys (house) that was given to them by the Mayors and Rulers of the city of Naarden and the Mayors of Laren, Huizen, Hilversum and Blaricum. Contemporary Bussum was so small that it was not part of any decision making processes. Tens of years later, in 1629, all farmsteads, including ‘t Oude Pagthuys, come into the hands of the prominent merchant family Hinlopen.
The Hinlopen family have played an important part in the history of “Oud-Bussem” and are considered the founders of the current estate with the same name. Nowadays, their name and the name “Oud-Bussem” still remain in many expressions such as poems and weapons. Examples are Joost van den Vondels’ poems “De gestuite minnegodt”, “De getrouwe hagedis”, “De Wiltzangk” and “Op den Jager van Eickhof” (“the impeded God of Love, “the married lizard”, “Song of the wild birds”, “About the Hunter of Eickhof”).
A jumping doe is centrally depicted on the coat of arms on the wall of the churnhouse of the former model farmstead “Oud-Bussem”. This same jumping doe can be seen in the wind vane on top of the tower of the contemporary farmstead “Oud-Bussem”. From the Middle Ages to the Twentieth Century. A 400 year jump, in which “Oud-Bussem” went through periods of blossoming and deterioration. The Spanish domination, the siege of Naarden by the French who plundered and burned everything on “Oud-Bussem” – including ‘t Oude Pagthuys – and in 1673 the siege of Naarden by Willem III.
After many family conflicts, the estate comes into possession of Francois Hinlopen in 1709. This marks the beginning of glorious times. ‘t Oude Pagthuys is rebuilt and Het capitale Heerenhuys (The vast Manor) appears on the area of the former hamlet. After that, the estate changes owners several times, including prominent people such as Abraham Bredius and Henry Tindal from Amsterdam. Over the years “Oud-Bussem” falls apart and is sold and allotted in smaller pieces.